Solutions in Dynamics 365
To understand the concept of solutions in the Dynamics 365, let’s assume that the solution is like a container.
This container allows the Customizer/Administrator to package a number of customizations or CRM components. This solution can be exported with all these customization from one environment and import in another environment.
The solution can be exported only in .zip format and imported with the same format.
There are 3 types of Solutions.
- Default Solution
- Unmanaged Solution
- Managed Solution
1. Default Solution:
Microsoft CRM application come with some predefined entities and other components. All these Out-of-Box components are packaged in the default solution. Many of the components inside the default solution can be used in Managed or Unmanaged Solution.
- Default solution can be accessed by navigating Settings >> Customization >> Customize the System.
2. Unmanaged Solution:
Unmanaged solution is used to keep all the components that are under development. Any solution created by the user is always an unmanaged solution. Customizer or Administrator can add, edit, update, remove, delete and test any component in the solution.
- Unmanaged solution can be exported either as Managed or Unmanaged Solution.
- If the solution is exported as Unmanaged and imported in another environment, the user can edit the solution components in imported environment.
- In case user delete the Unmanaged solution, the components inside this solution won’t delete and can be available in default solution.
- In case user delete any component from Unmanaged solution, the component will be permanently deleted from the system.
3. Managed Solution:
Managed solution is a complete solution and ready to distribute. The solution should be exported as managed only when all the development in that solution is completed. Managed solution can be installed over the Default solution and other managed solutions.
- If the solution is exported as Managed solution and imported in other environment, the user can’t edit any component in that solution in the new environment.
- Managed solution does not reference directly to system solution
- If user uninstall the managed solution, all the components inside this solution will also be uninstalled.
- Managed solution can’t be exported from the system.
- Managed solution can’t be directly converted to Unmanaged solution.
Below are the solution components:
|Global Option Sets|
|User Interface||Application Ribbon|
|Dialogs (Deprecating Soon…)|
|Field Level Security Profiles|
- Settings >> Customization >> Solution >> Click ‘New’
- Settings >> Solutions >> Click ‘New’
2. Fill all the details in the solution window.
3. Add the ‘New’ component or ‘Add Existing’ component from the system.
4. ‘Save’ or ‘Save and Close’ the solution.
- Settings >> Customization >> Solution >> Click the solution that to be exported and click ‘Export’
- Settings >> Solutions >> Click the solution that to be exported and click ‘Export’
Solution can be exported from inside the solution as well.
2. Select ‘Next’ on Publish Customization window. User can click the ‘Publish All Customization’ button to publish all changes if required.
3. Select the options under Setting which you want to export with the solution. Or simply skip it and click ‘Next’ button.
4. Select the appropriate package type (Unmanaged or Managed) and click ‘Export’.
5. Wait till system pop up the message to Save or Save-as the solution. Once the pop-up displayed, select the location to save the solution.
- Settings >> Customization >> Solution >> Click ‘Import’
- Settings >> Solutions >> Click ‘Import’
2. Browse the location of solution which you want to import and click ‘Next’.
3. Click the ‘Import’ button to import the solution. User can click on ‘View solution package details’ button to cross check the components inside the solution.
4. Wait till import customization is in progress…
5. Click ‘Publish All Customizations’ once the import is done.
We are done with solution import. Now the components inside the solution have been deployed in the new environment.
Hope this helps!!!